The department recruits local and international health practitioners to public health services in metropolitan and rural areas, encourages nurses back to work and facilitates health workplace safety to give Victorians access to qualified and experienced health professionals.
- A job with the Victorian public health sector will provide you with training, education and career opportunities.
- To become a registered nurse in Victoria requires a three-year bachelor’s degree from a tertiary education provider.
- To become an enrolled nurse in Victoria requires an 18 month Diploma (Nursing) qualification at TAFE or an equivalent training provider.
- Postgraduate nursing courses are available that enable specialisation in specific areas of nursing.
- To become a medical practitioner you need to undertake a medical degree from a tertiary education provider, followed by an approved period of internship.
- To become a medical specialist you need to undertake a training program as provided through one of the medical specialist colleges.
Find a job with a health service
There are two websites listing health jobs in Victoria – the ‘Health jobs’ website and the ‘Careers with the Victorian Government’ website.
Health Jobs, the Victorian public sector health employment website, provides job opportunities in a range of health disciplines within Victorian government-funded health services. The site is managed by the Department of Health and Human Services and is updated daily.
To apply for a job advertised on this site, please contact the relevant advertiser for each health job.
Careers with the Victorian Government
The Community, healthcare and nursing section on the Victorian Government careers website provides a listing of public sector health jobs. The site also provides further information about applying for jobs with links to resources.
You must register on the careers website to access the online job application process if you are a new user.
By creating a personalised profile, you will be able to apply for health jobs that match your health skills and experience. This also gives you the chance to showcase your entire health professional background. The more thorough your information, the more use you can make of the online job application, recruitment and information service.